Thursday, November 1, 2007

The great chinese experience

So this is the craziest country ever! i can't access my blog or anyother for that matter. Because somehow, it's a threat? I'm just writing about my adventures. oh well. Peter Sin is such a darling that he's going to post all my blog post for me :) this also means that if there's anything dodgy in it, I take no responsiblity since until I've arrived in Hong Kong.

 

I've been here for 2 days now. I met mum, danny and Xiao Yi (Danny's girlfriend). Her name sounds like Shelly, I'm very to just call her that. Mum arrived at 6am while I arrive at 10am. We pretty much arrived to hit the ground running. We checked into our hotel (which is literally around the corner from Danny's apartment), before getting a 2hour massage. it was sooo cheap. Less than $20 each! Shanghai is a beautiful city. Full of ppl from all different walks of life (lots of asians though).

 

I've experienced some very interesting things while I've been here already. here's a tip, NEVER eat fish in china.I ordered a fish dish last night and was asked to go choose one from the fish tank. I didn't think I'd have too much of a problem with it but when I got there and had to give one a death sentence, it was tough. ... The ugliest, angriest looking one was chosen. The biggest blow came in the form of the bill. 600 yuen which is about NZ$120!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid you not! Never again.

 

I had shark fin soup on my first night here. yummmmmy :) was expensive but not $120! I don't think I can consider NZ's shark fin soup to be remotely authentic now.

 

I've had two shopping experiences so far. The first was in a mall.Everything was expensive, even the 50% off stuff. They had all the great brands though like DKNY, LV, Prada... even more impressive than houston's galleria. I was looking at a few bras and the lady asked for my size. Xiao Yi translated for me but since it was NZ sizing, the lady asked if she could measure me.
I say "ok".

 

She brings out a tape measure and measures my chest diameter. That's the first step. Pretty harmless... it's what's done in NZ. Then... she grabs my right breast for a split second. I was horrified. "she touched my boobies!!!" Aparently that's how they measure cup size in China! this was in a proper mall wear things cost 100s-1000s of dollars!!!!! at least I won't have to go through that again.

 

My second experience: the market. WHat a baaaargin! Aaaand you can bargin :) anywho, this is a long enough blog. Lunch calls

1 comment:

Lyds said...

You really must relay that bra story to Abbey, she'd really appreciate it.