Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cambodia cont...

There goes my grand plans to blog lots while I was overseas. To be perfectly honest, I was just soooo busy that I really didn't have anytime to. For those that know me, you'll appreciate my busy shedule when I tell you that I spent less than 3 hours (total) shopping while I was in cambodia.

I went to Neak Luong (my birth place) at one point. And yes, I have dual Citizenship. Woo hoo! This makes me feel special :)

Went to Kep and stayed at my Uncle's resort. It's call Veranda Natural Resort. It's very flash, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. You can find it in the lonely planet guide (though this guide is very much due for revision since room quality and prices have gone up by about 10 fold!). We went around Kep for a bit and looked at some of his land (and islands). We went along many dirty roads and hilly country side. It's not surprising then to hear that he drives a Hummer. A vechicle like this is very sensible for the sorta places that he drives to. It's a very silly thing to drive if you're in a Western city where you pretty much only encounter well pathed roads.

One of my 2nd cousin owns an awesome karoke club in Pehnom Penh (XO is the name). Very flash and in a completely different league to the crappy places in NZ. Their sound system is fabulous. Makes you wanna sing and sing cos you actually sound good :) We were in the V.I.P. room in which is very clean and styly and the sorta drinks served are top self quality e.g. Blue Labelled Johny Walker.

We went to Preah Vear in one point to do some more charity stuff. It was so hot! There's no such thing as AirCon in the country - but I survived.

It's quite sad to see the extremes of wealth and poverty. Some times during my trip, I was associating with those that earn $60 a month if they're lucky. At other times I was with those that spoke of private helicopters, 7 star hotels, 1st class travel and buying islands. A very different world to simple New Zealand but in saying all of that, I had a wonderful time. Can't wait to go back!

No comments: