Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pursat… Battambang… Siem Reap and back

So much has happened in the last week it’s insane! I’m been in several temples in which my family has done what Buddhist’s call “merit”. It’s sorta like charty work but not quite. Hmmm… look it up if you must 
I’m meet Danny’s God father (who is now also my God father). He’s pretty cool, a little scary when you first meet him but you soon get over it. He is a monk and has set up the largest (and most well organised) temple in Pursat with the help of funding from many generous individuals that can trust his ability to do good. And he has while maintaining a relatively humble existence. After a few hours of meeting me, he managed to get me some very sound and necessary advice about my life at home – which I really needed to hear. A little concerning that he knew but the advice was very good.
Battambang was great. Meet and hang out with lots and lots of family and also managed some R&R by the hotel pool. Good food, great company; awesome times were had by all.
Siem Reap – “Siem” meaning Thai people and “reap” meaning flattened to the ground. In other words “The Thai’s defeated”. It’s ironic in that the thai’s defeated Angkor Wat and controlled it for about 150yrs from 1794.
I’m back in Phnom Penh again now. Went and bought some fabric and getting a dress made. Lived the city life today and hang out with family again.
I’ve eaten frog now. Tastes like chicken (surprise, surprise).
My mum’s side of the family looks VERY different from my Dad’s.
I’ve discovered that I’m part Laosian.

No comments: