Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Phenom Penh - Cambodia

I’ve arrived in Phenom Penh, Cambodia. Final destination was certainly a mission to get to. Chch – Sydney – Brisbane – Bangkok – Phenom Penh. I definitely rate direct flights and will more adequately research the travel options NEXT time. For the longest leg of my journey, I was fortunate enough to sit next to a VERY well fed energetic girl. She was challenging in that she could not comprehend MY seat space. Taking the arm rest as her space is one thing BUT my actually space is sacred. Grrrrr. On top of that she constantly bumped me for at least a good half of the journey. I managed to stay civil though.

My Bangkok to Phenom Penh flight was less dramatic. I just had 2 Thai guys try to make the moves on me but they respected my personal space so I didn’t care too much  They only managed to gather the courage to give me their cards and maintain polite conversation in English. They said some interesting things to Thai but were unaware that I could understand. Sometimes it’s better to just play ignorant.

At the airport I kept a look out for my brother (Danny) who was scheduled to arrive from Singapore approx 10 minutes before me. Mum has already been in Cambodia for weeks and I assumed was waiting outside the arrival gate. Once I sorted out my Visa, surely enough, there he was. To my surprise though, I saw a few other people standing next to him in the security area (We still needed to clear customs). Amongst the group were 3 officers, Danny and a woman wearing a glowing dress and designer sunglasses – my mother!!! Connections ay?

My luggage was no where to be found. Nooooooooo! I made my report claim. Not really much else I could do, besides, I’m on holiday!!! I’m here and well - especially after being well fed and having a much needed nap. It’s quite cool that I can fluently speak Cambodian too. The airport just called and they’ve located my suitcase. It’s in Bangkok and will arrive this evening. Yaaaaay!

1 comment:

Carina said...

Wow Thida, never knew you could speak so many languages! You're not just a pretty face...and a doctor...