Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Dinner and proposal?

I went out for dinner last night with my aunt and some distant relatives from Cambodia (they're in Sydney on holiday). We went to Golden Century; the best chinese seafood restaurant in Sydney (well, in my opinion anyway). Mmmmm, abalone... lobster... fish... all of it gets freshly caught when you order (a bit disturbing? -slightly).

From here onwards, I'll refer to the relatives as the "husband", "wife" and "son". After only a few minutes of meeting the husband, he asks me if I'm married or not. He slips into the conversation about how his younger brother's a millionaire. Before our first dish arrived, he's already told my aunt that he's thinking of making an arrange marriage proposal to me (and my family) for his younger brother and asked for her opinion! eeekk!

My aunt said that his younger brother doesn't have a chance (she's definitely got gumption!). The husband went on to tell us that his brother's very successful and lives in a huuuge house. I said that I wasn't big on houses ;)

Apparently, I'm in the prime age for getting married and give it another few years and I'll be an old maid. Heck! I'd rather be an old spinster than be some random's trophy wife!

Anyway, I thought that I'd share that with you all. Pretty crazy hah?

4 comments:

Carina said...

I bet you in two years when you hit "old maid" status you will be kicking yourself for turning down this offer. I mean...you're gonna need a big house for all those cats!

Anonymous said...

Shocking!!! I am completely flabborgasted! is this a common occurence? The arranged marriageI mean.

Abigail... said...

hahahaha...I like how you specify that you dont want to be a random's trophy wife...afterall, being a trophy wife wouldnt be alllll bad, right? ;-)

just kidding...
Oh, there is NO CHANCE you'll get even remotely close to "old spinster" statis.

Tda said...

Thanks Abbey :)
Hmm, it's still common in Cambodia Christa. Arranged marriage nowadays is more arranged dating followed quickly with marriage if both parties are still keen. Cambodia is still pretty old school with "keeping the money in the family" too.