Saturday, December 23, 2006

Home sweet home

I arrived back to NZ last night. The plan? I'm going to go to Nelson tomorrow with my brother and my extended family. We're all goin to spend Christmas there with mum. Then, I'll be waitress there till about mid January before setting up my life in chch for the next 3 years.

From my trip overseas this time, I learnt quite a bit about myself. I guess that my submersion into a foreign enviroment really aided my self evaluation process. I'm moving into my clinical years next month so now is a good time to sort out what I want out of life. I still don't know the extact details but I definitely have a much better idea. For example, I don't know what kind of doctor I'd like to eventually be but I know the qualities that I'm looking for.

I received a letter(that I wrote earlier this year) in the mail yesterday. I know that it sounds a little odd but it's actually very helpful to evaluate the year that is about to pass. Did I achieve all that I wanted to? Were my priorities kept in check? Have I grown as much as I wanted to? Has my life this year been a blessing to those around me?

I think that I did a reasonable job of it all. But is that what I actually want? In my eulogy one day, for my life to be discribed as "reasonable"? NO! I want it to be an extraordinary life full of God's love and gace. A life fulled with adventure and excitement and much much more. I'm going to write another letter sometime in January. There's going to be more of an emphasis on God and my big plans for life will also start to take shape.

I also appreciate my family a little more now. As I'm sure you're all aware, every family is imperfect. Every member has strange quirks that can drive us mad at times. But we love them to bits anyway. I'm not sure whether it's that we love them inspite of their faults or because of them. Maybe it's a bit of both.

My brother (Danny) was in China and Japan while I was in the states. He's now thinking of moving to China to study Mandarin. If he does, he'll be leaving in mid Feb. If so, I'll probably visit him in late October of the coming year. It'll be a huge challenge for him (and our family) for many reasons but I think that (if the plan goes ahead), it'll be a great learning experience for him (and our family).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

QUITE a blog! just a note to tell you that you were a blessing to all of us in the states that you visited! You made the year more wonderful. May I wish you the very best of life in all that you do for mankind! pawpaw bill

Caffeine Faerie said...

Happy Christmas again, m'dear. You blog so well, I hope you keep up your insightful entries as you begin life in clinic in a new city, and in a setting which really will show you the wonders of God's works and great plan.

Your lessons learnt in Texas ring only too true. I should try a little patience and leave His plan to Him. Thanks for the advice on that one. :)

So God Bless, little tda :). It's good to hear from you. Enjoy your family and keep on posting.

much <3, ~S