Wednesday, December 27, 2006

First day on the job

Michelle (our Richmond manager) is sick at the moment so I'm working instead of her. She's been working for mum for about a year and has improved tremendously over this period. Work was good today. I enjoyed it and the time went by fairly quickly. I suspect that working for my mum for the next few weeks will bring the perfectionist out of me again. It's hard working in a family business because it's your FAMILY'S business. The floor could be cleaner, you notice any watermarks on the cutlery etc etc. I do my best to appreciate her employees and give them constructive critisms (only when I think it's completely necessary).

I've changed so much since being away from home these past 5 years though. I use to be VERY tidy. Otago Uni [especially flatmates (=room mates for my north american friends)] has definitely helped me to be laid back. I learnt to just let things go. For example, I use to iron on a weekly basis. most recently? I've only used an iron once in the last month or two! huge difference.

BUUUT, in saying that, when I'm at home, I do something that I only occasionally do in Dunedin. I clean up after other people. I have a different mentality here than at Uni. At uni, I'll tidy up a little every now and then and will do the odd dish that's left lying around. People can rely on my to do my chores but I certainly wouldn't do other people's. However, when I'm back at home, I'll just do whatever needs to be done! Hmmm, I'm not sure what the exact reason for it is.

on a completely different topic; I was chatting to a dear friend of mine from high school. He's a DJ and is fairly big (world famous in NZ amongst the alternative crowd at least). I've known him since my early teenage days. Heck! It's been nearly a decade! Wow, how time flys. I told him about my blog and said that I would talk about him and put a link to his profile on Myspace. So... Tom a.k.a. COSM He's got lots of gigs coming up in the next month. "World famous in NZ" is an understatement for sure. cos he just got back from a tour around Oz and was in South American not too long ago. I gotta warn you all though that he's not exactly squeeky clean ... try not to be too shocked. He's a great guy. No matter how hip, pyschodalic and outrageous he becomes, he'll always be "Bolie" (his nickname from school) to me.

No comments: