Monday, January 8, 2007

Titles and Labels

Are you a "non-religious person"? Atheist? Agnostic?

Here's the dictionary definition of an atheist:
"a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings"

Some "atheists" have said to me that it's not that they actively believe that God doesn't exist, it's just that there's not enough evidence to suggest otherwise. But...
"Atheism" is derived from 2 greek words. Alpha = negative theos=God

So, some people have decided that this title is not for them. Instead they have adopted the title of "Agnostic". Again it is derived from 2 greek words. Alpha=negative ginosko=to know
You may be wondering where I'm getting at with this. Well... I discovered yesterday that the Latin equivalent to "agnostic" is actually "ignoramus"!!!!! Hehehe, so perhaps "agnostics" would like to consider a different title

I'm still having fun in Nelson and entertaining myself with various things. Nothing exciting enough for me to share.

No comments: