Sunday, November 19, 2006

Lov'n America!

New Zealand is a luscious, vibrant, friendly, giant farmland and I adore it; but the US is one big adventure at this very moment in time. I'm definitely a fan of adventure :)
I arrived in San Francisco on Friday morning and connected through to Denver. I arrived that afternoon in Denver exhausted. I hadn't slept properly in about 48hours at this stage. My own fault for not getting a decent night's rest before my flight. I thought that I could just sleep on the plane. However, I flew with United. Not comfortable at all!

Anyway, United had oversold tickets for my flight to Houston. They needed 4 people to stay the night at a hotel and catch the morning flight the following day. I selflessly volunteered ;) For my good deed, I got to stay at The DoubleTree Hotel (5 star hotel!), meal vouchers and a free return ticket to anywhere in the states. I just wanted to sleep, so what a bonus! The luxurious king sized bed helped my fatigue and jet lag. For sure!

So far, I've found that the service here in the states in great! However, I just discovered that the minimum tip in this country is 15%. It's a good thing that I was being "generous" by tipping 15-20% while I was ignorant otherwise I would have been ripping the waitering staff! opps

I arrived in Houston around 2pm and Abbey along with her girls (Christa and Esther) came to pick me up. The two hour drive to Nachodoches went by pretty quick. I noticed a lot of SUVs. We arrived in time for me to weigh myself (I plan on gaining weight here) and relax to an episode of Grey's Anatomy before heading off to dinner with Abbey and her friends. We had Sushi. The sushi in this country is REALLY delicious! I couldn't finish it though cos I was too full. Then they handed me a piece of heavenly devine mud cake (Abbey's early birthday cake). How could I refuse? I was completely stuffed afterwards!

We watched fireworks and walked around the town for a bit. The Chirstmas lights were out. Very beautiful. America has given me a good first impression. I'm lov'n it

No comments: